My Teaching Style
“I believe learning has little meaning unless it helps students learn in ways that are sustained and substantial, and that have a positive influence on how students think, act and feel beyond the university’s walls. Students ought to gain long-term payback from their time with me. Static facts or “the answer” rarely find a place in my classroom. Instead, I believe that I will serve students better by teaching them how to define a problem; grapple with ideas, rethink their assumptions; examine their mental models of reality; decide what they need to solve problems; find and evaluate new information; stretch their limits; and how to be prepared both for change and to change.
I lecture in the Faculty of Leadership Studies, Renaissance College at the University of New Brunswick, here I prefer to involve students in a creative thinking process.
A difficult teaching issue, but an important aspect of leadership, is the ambiguous, uncertain and sometimes contradictory nature of leadership problems. I continue to learn from practice, and I share my teaching experiences through my writing and by presenting at teaching conferences. I also use current literature to continuously improve my effectiveness as a lecturer, consultant and speaker”
– Dr. Reeves
When Asked to Describe Dr. Reeves
Why Students Continue to Nominate Dr. Reeves
- Teaches skills and professionalism I can take with me into the work place.
- Very straightforward—you know what to expect.
- Incorporates open discussion after the lecture.
- Always makes the lecture entertaining and the class enjoyable.
- Available to help outside the classroom.
- Connects what we’re learning to the real world.
- Treats each student as a person, not a number.
- Welcomes us into her home.
- Provides study tips and helps students when they struggle.
- Provides detailed feedback when you miss points.
- Takes a personal interest in students beyond the classroom.
- Goes the extra mile to make sure you know what you need to know.
- Uses challenging assignments to push students beyond their comfort zone.
- Believes in students and helps them succeed!
What Others Say…
“When reflecting on my personal and professional exchanges with Dr. Roxanne Reeves. Dr. Reeves tirelessly worked to contribute to the betterment of students’ educational experiences, while simultaneously supporting them in the achievement of their personal and professional goals.
She worked tirelessly to contribute to the betterment of students’ educational experiences, while simultaneously supporting them in the achievement of their personal and professional goals. Dr. Reeves’ content expertise and organizational and effective communication skills were greatly appreciated, as they enabled students to excel and clearly understand course objectives. Not only that but when Roxanne Reeves is instructing, she incorporates innovative ways of learning and injects enthusiasm into the subject matter.
Dr. Reeves’ teaching scores of 97.25% for approachableness, 97.25% for providing a positive learning experience and 94.45% for subject knowledge, similarly reflect her strength as an educator and her ability to align perfectly with the needs of her students. I know these scores because I nominated Dr. Reeves for the esteemed Alan P. Stewart Excellent in Teaching Award! Each and every day, Dr. Reeves places her best foot forward to enrich the lives of those who she interacts with. Fortunately for me, I was one of those people.” – Emilie Chiasson